Suggestions or Comments

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2014 at 2:58 AM
Feel free to request changes or advice on the code written.
Feb 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Hi there!

Firstly, thanks for taking this on. I have like you been looking for this kind of tool. Here are a couple of issues I encountered:
  1. The file path to the uTorrentExtractor that you specify in utorrent preferences cannot contain any spaces. I first used the 'Program Files' folder, but that didn't work. As soon as I changed to a folder without space, the unrar started like a charm.
  2. The cleanup of files didn't really work,, but I saw that you are working on that issue.
Thanks again, and let me know if you need any help with testing anything out.

BR
Jörgen
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2014 at 7:19 AM
Thank you for the feedback, Jörgen.

About those issues:
  1. I didn't try myself since my path is space-less but you might need to put quotes around the file path. Like that:
    "C:\Program Files\uTorrentExtractor\uTorrentExtractor.exe" -s "%S" -d "%D" -l "%L" -p "%P" -k "%K" -n "%N" -m "%M" -i "%I"
  2. The issue with the cleanup is that it's deleting the rar files prematurely (before the torrent truly finished seeding).
    I recently added a description field to the torrent log file, so I can monitor the status provided by uTorrent, and found that uTorrent has a bug that for some reason makes a call to the extractor with Finished status. I tested it with version 3.4 (build 30596), I will try it with 3.4.1 beta. I am trying my luck in the uTorrent forums as well: http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88573-possible-bug-in-advanced-run-this-program-changes-state/
I will keep you posted.

~Shay
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Edited Mar 7, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Quick update: a week after I upgraded to 3.4.1 beta, issue 2 did not reoccur. The access log does not contain those "Finished" state false records.
Mar 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Is there currently a way to specify the extraction path? I would like the ability to extract based on label if possible.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM
@jacc1234 - uTorrent can transfer the downloaded files to folder based on the label, I have it setup that way.
Since that feature already exists in the torrent client, I don't see a reason to reinvent the wheel.

This is an example of the uTorrent preferences:
  • Location of downloaded files:
    • Put new downloads in: d:\Incomplete
    • Move completed downloads to: d:\
Then, I have a download labeled as "Movies".
When the download is complete, if the folder d:\Movies exists, the files will be moved there.
BTW, it is also possible to specify sub folders, just label it like that: TV\Sports , this will extract it to: d:\TV\Sports .

I hope I could help.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM
n_shay wrote:
Quick update: a week after I upgraded to 3.4.1 beta, issue 2 did not reoccur. The access log does not contain those "Finished" state false records.
Oh... BTW... The issue came back!!!

I found out that uTorrent is using few different status scales (enums) when reporting to the uTorrentExtractor app... very unreliable :(

I am working on a version that will use WebAPI to verify the "real" torrent status.
Mar 17, 2014 at 4:47 PM
I too have utorrent setup this way with folders based on labels. The issue is I have a server that handles downloading/seeding and a NAS for storage of extracted files. I do not want to point utorrent to my NAS due to excessive ware of the drives, nor do I want the NAS drives always running.

I just want you to be aware there are some use cases where it would be helpful to extract to a different paths then the downloaded location.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Thanks for pointing that out.

My main priority right now is that status issue. I am working on changing the tool to work with the WebAPI. Once that done I will consider your suggestion as the next development item.
I am also planning on adding a configuration window (to replace the app.config) and a taskbar icon.
May 3, 2014 at 6:28 AM
I absolutely cannot get this to work! I followed your instructions and it is NOT working.

I've disabled windows smartscreen, I had it extracted to c:/documents (no spaces so no quotations), it wouldn't work so I moved it to desktop. Still no go!

I've double and triple checked winrar executable file and it still won't work.

I'm out of luck, what can I do?
Coordinator
May 8, 2014 at 2:02 AM
blackmamba08 wrote:
I absolutely cannot get this to work! I followed your instructions and it is NOT working.

I've disabled windows smartscreen, I had it extracted to c:/documents (no spaces so no quotations), it wouldn't work so I moved it to desktop. Still no go!

I've double and triple checked winrar executable file and it still won't work.

I'm out of luck, what can I do?
I am still working on a completely new version that will pull the data from uTorrent via WebAPI (more reliable torrents' info). The new version will have a Windows UI for settings and checking logs and will be much more simple to install and use.

Anyways, I can try help you making it work. Are you labeling your torrents with "Movies" or "TV" (right now it will work only if the label starts with those 2 labels)?

If so, does it create a "utx.log" file in the torrent folder?
Jul 20, 2014 at 12:10 AM
I have tried everything here also to get this to work. I am using windows 8.1. Does that make a difference?
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Hey guys,

I figured I will keep you updated. I am in the final stages of a new version that will contain a a lot of new features.
First, it will connect to uTorrent through the WebAPI, which means reliable real-time data. This was the part with the heavy lifting, and I came up with a stable client.

Additional features:
  • Increased efficiency for NAS drives: set the uTorrent to download locally and my tool will copy the file into the remote location when done downloading.
  • The new tool will extract archives, copy the content and clean-up after itself when seeding is done.
  • New background service with Windows UI for changing settings.
I hope the new tool will meet all the requirements.

Stay tuned for the next update.
Oct 14, 2014 at 4:21 AM
Edited Oct 14, 2014 at 4:21 AM
Just wanted to say thanks. I have been looking for something like this for a while. All other methods left something out, but this just works. Thanks again.

Fyi I was originally having problems when using an older utorrent version. as my tacker only recommends certain clients and versions. Updated to 3.2.2 working perfectly. Also using windows 8.1.
Oct 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM
First of all, amazing job on creating this tool! I have this installed and configured to auto unrar when the torrent is completed with label "tv" and I wanted to know how it cleans up the rar files? What is considered "seeding completed" as described? I tried to stop seeding so the status changed to "Finished" but that didn't cleanup the rar files. Could you let me know what is required to cleanup the rar files?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM
pdesai wrote:
First of all, amazing job on creating this tool! I have this installed and configured to auto unrar when the torrent is completed with label "tv" and I wanted to know how it cleans up the rar files? What is considered "seeding completed" as described? I tried to stop seeding so the status changed to "Finished" but that didn't cleanup the rar files. Could you let me know what is required to cleanup the rar files?

Thanks!
I am glad you find the tool helpful. I've been working on new version for awhile, unfortunately I've been very occupied with work/personal life that had almost no time for this development.

As for your questions:
  1. The tool's cleanup is very simple. It will delete all files that follow these patterns in all folders:
    .dat 
    *sample* 
    *.rar
    *.sfv
    *.r00 (up to *.r99)
    And all folders with the names:
    CD1 (up to CD5)
    Sample
    Subs
  2. The "seeding completed" status in the "Run Program" feature is a little tricky. uTorrent has not been fixing bugs with it.
    I collected logs for the status reported by that service and it showed different status reported for same status.
    My uTorrentExtractor keeps cleanup unfinished torrents as a result of that.
    The answer to your question: "Seeding completed" is when your uTorrent reached the goals of the seeding (time or ratio).
  3. Therefore "Seeding completed" plus "100% downloaded" equals "Finished" status.
  4. As of right now, manually stopping the torrent will not trigger the cleanup since "Seeding paused" does not translate to "Finished".
    As a temporary solution, you can modify the seeding goals in the "properties" of the specific torrent.
In my upcoming version, the tool will use the web API which has a much more reliant status reporting.
Nov 30, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Any update on when the upcoming version will be released?
Dec 10, 2014 at 8:17 PM
My utx.log looks like this for a torrent with finished status:
{"ErrorLogs":[],"AccessLogs":[{"Start":"2014-12-04T21:34:08.953271+01:00","End":"2014-12-04T21:36:02.5286711+01:00"},{"Start":"2014-12-08T19:03:16.4661481+01:00","End":"2014-12-08T19:03:16.621149+01:00"}],"Unpacked":true,"DateUnpacked":"2014-12-04T21:36:02.5256709+01:00","Cleaned":true,"DateCleaned":"2014-12-08T19:03:16.621149+01:00"}

So UTX says that it has cleaned the files, but they are not deleted.

I'm running uTorrent 3.4.2 build 35702 on Windows 8.1
Coordinator
Dec 10, 2014 at 8:39 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM
fwilhelmsson wrote:
My utx.log looks like this for a torrent with finished status:
{"ErrorLogs":[],"AccessLogs":[{"Start":"2014-12-04T21:34:08.953271+01:00","End":"2014-12-04T21:36:02.5286711+01:00"},{"Start":"2014-12-08T19:03:16.4661481+01:00","End":"2014-12-08T19:03:16.621149+01:00"}],"Unpacked":true,"DateUnpacked":"2014-12-04T21:36:02.5256709+01:00","Cleaned":true,"DateCleaned":"2014-12-08T19:03:16.621149+01:00"}

So UTX says that it has cleaned the files, but they are not deleted.

I'm running uTorrent 3.4.2 build 35702 on Windows 8.1
The clean-up feature will remove only files that follow the patterns: "*.dat", "*sample*", "*.rar", "*.sfv" and "*.r??"
and the folders: "Sample", "Subs" and "CD*".

Are the files that weren't removed follow one of the patterns?
Coordinator
Dec 10, 2014 at 8:45 PM
pdesai wrote:
Any update on when the upcoming version will be released?
Sorry, I've been slacking on the development of the new version.
I've finished most of the back-end work, and only have some UI features to add.

It probably won't be anytime before the holidays tho.
Dec 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM
n_shay wrote:
The clean-up feature will remove only files that follow the patterns: "*.dat", "*sample*", "*.rar", "*.sfv" and "*.r??"

Yes, they are .rar and .rXX
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2014 at 3:52 PM
fwilhelmsson wrote:
n_shay wrote:

Did it work for other torrents? Are you using a network storage or a local folder?
Dec 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM
n_shay wrote:
fwilhelmsson wrote:
n_shay wrote:

Did it work for other torrents? Are you using a network storage or a local folder?
No I haven't got it to work with any torrent. I'm using a local folder.
Dec 22, 2014 at 7:52 PM
n_shay wrote:
fwilhelmsson wrote:
n_shay wrote:

Does it matter if its network storage?
Feb 7, 2015 at 12:08 PM
One quick search on google revealed this little gem.
Spent a little time tweaking to my purposes and voila, I don't have to manually extract the TV shows I get through RSS anymore.

Adding a little windows service project too, to run and use the web API to check the ratios of the torrents and clean them out once they hit my desired ratios before cleaning up instead of killing the torrents off immediately.

Thanks for the good work man.

Best regards
Morten